Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Default I MAY have gone a tad overboard with this thing...

1st Gaming PC I've built in 15 years so,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_toy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	833.4 KB 
ID:	43439

Case: Corsair 4000D Air Flow Mid Tower
    MB: Gigabyte x670 AORUS ELITE AX
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12 Core-24 Thread
    HDD: WD Black SN850x 2TB PCIe Gen 4 M.2
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2X16GB (32GB) 5600MHz
    PWR: Corsair RMx Series Gold 1200 Watt
    Liquid Cooler: Corsair iCEU H150i Elite
    GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire 7900XT Vaopr-X 20GB DDR6

Posting this while I'm waiting for everything to download but, it I take the fact that it booted off the USB as soon as I powered it on for the 1st time as a win!
    Last edited by AOD_SabreSixFour; 02-26-2023 at 12:15 AM.
    AOD_SabreSixFour

What ever happens happens. Mjwitz's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Thats a thick boy GPU.

Nice build.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Nice build. Your memory is in the wrong slots tho. They should be in slots 2 and 4. 1 being closest to the CPU. This is how old am3 platforms used to be but am4 going forward and pretty much everything intel should be the way I said.

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    Nice build. Your memory is in the wrong slots tho. They should be in slots 2 and 4. 1 being closest to the CPU. This is how old am3 platforms used to be but am4 going forward and pretty much everything intel should be the way I said.
    What he said. Nice build!

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

I've been looking at the case. How was it to work it? It looks like it has a lot of room. Also, any comments on the cable management it offers?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I noticed what I had done as soon as I posted the pic and fixed it. It was almost 4am and the cable routing and caffeine had me a bit twitchy so I just shoved them in there to boot test and forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_zeke009 View Post
    I've been looking at the case. How was it to work it? It looks like it has a lot of room. Also, any comments on the cable management it offers?

The case has tons of room and the cable management is amazballs! If you take the HDD tray out of the base you have a good 6in x 8in x 8in of empty space to cram all the extra cable into and there are enough slots in the MB back panel to fish even the big Power cables through with ease.

The only thing I would do is replace the crappy back fan it comes with (Which I did the day after I built it) Stock, which doesn't have RGB says its 40cfm, I replaced it with a 55.2cfm and it pushes air like a beast!
    AOD_SabreSixFour

All my toys are broken and So am I inside, mom.The carnival has closed Years ago AOD Member AOD_Tranquillo's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I just did pretty much the same thing, ryzen 9 and a 7900xt and I am nothing but happy! Word of warning the cpu will look like it's running hot at 85-90c but that's what it's design is, in other words 85-90c is normal. Otherwise hi-def 4k all day! I highly recommend Cyberpunk 2077 all high graphics to test it out.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DnRust View Post
    I just did pretty much the same thing, ryzen 9 and a 7900xt and I am nothing but happy! Word of warning the cpu will look like it's running hot at 85-90c but that's what it's design is, in other words 85-90c is normal. Otherwise hi-def 4k all day! I highly recommend Cyberpunk 2077 all high graphics to test it out.
    Only normal if it's under 100% load like a stress test or rendering. While gaming it should be way under that.

It's not a dad bod, it's a father figure! AOD Member AOD_hawkinson's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

You didnt go overboard; you left an entire GPU tier to upgrade to. And you could drop in 2 more sticks of DD5 RAM. Very restrained, imo.

I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough and irritating. And it gets everywhere. RedAlpha's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SabreSixFour View Post
    1st Gaming PC I've built in 15 years so,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_toy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	833.4 KB 
ID:	43439

Case: Corsair 4000D Air Flow Mid Tower
    MB: Gigabyte x670 AORUS ELITE AX
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12 Core-24 Thread
    HDD: WD Black SN850x 2TB PCIe Gen 4 M.2
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2X16GB (32GB) 5600MHz
    PWR: Corsair RMx Series Gold 1200 Watt
    Liquid Cooler: Corsair iCEU H150i Elite
    GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire 7900XT Vaopr-X 20GB DDR6

Posting this while I'm waiting for everything to download but, it I take the fact that it booted off the USB as soon as I powered it on for the 1st time as a win!
    Nice build. A few quick notes. Your RAM is in the wrong slots. They should be offset by one slot. So if left to right is slots 1, 2, 3, 4, then put RAM in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. By having your RAM in side by side slots you are effectively cutting their bandwidth in half.

Side note, HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. You have an SSD (nvme nonetheless, a very high quality one). So for posting specs I would write SSD instead of HDD so that people don't think that your really gaming off an HDD after spending so much :)

Good job on putting the SSD in the correct slot. By that I mean the one closest to the CPU. Always use the slot closest to the SSD first since that slot will communicate directly with the CPU for faster speeds, whereas other slots may go through the chipset which just means it would be slightly slower :P
    (on some Mobos more than one slot will connect directly with the CPU. Mobo manual will let you know exactly how many. Some (older) Mobos have 0 NVME slots that don't go through the chipset, so on older builds this tip can be irrelevant)

Also good job on getting the rear fan to face the right direction. I've seen to many people just 50/50 it and get it backwards :D

The power supply, for future reference, is quite overkill. That's $300 for it on Amazon. An 850 watt power supply, the same model from Corsair, only costs $150. Just FYI for yourself and others.

11/10 OP plz nerf

I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough and irritating. And it gets everywhere. RedAlpha's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1 and 3 or 2 and 4, unless I'm mistaken, should have no performance difference either way (nowadays, anyway). While you certainly used to want to use 2 and 4 (A1 and B1 if your looking at the motherboard manual / if it's written on the board) with older boards I wouldn't be worried about it. With older equipment, I certainly would be worried. Could probably find out for sure in the Mobo's manual.

I could be completely wrong about that, don't quote me ;)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_zeke009 View Post
    Very nice to work with. I loved working with a 4000D, and its bigger brother the 7000D.

Just keep in mind that you're paying a premium for these higher quality cases. So if your PC sits under your desk or out of sight it doesn't hurt to save some on a cheaper case.

(of course don't go too cheap. some cases just suck at airflow. always read the reviews. yada yada yada)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Only normal if it's under 100% load like a stress test or rendering. While gaming it should be way under that.
    It's well documented, even from AMD, that these chips are meant to thermal throttle under heavy gaming loads. Pretty much all of their 7000 series X chips will. They push themselves until they hit 95c and then throttle to maintain 95c (with the exception of the X3D's which throttle at 90). Of course, under light gaming, or non gaming tasks it shouldn't hit 90c. If it did, you might have forgotten thermal paste, or to remove plastic off the CPU cooler, or not used enough thermal paste.