Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Default System suddenly BSODing.

So, since monday (the 11th) I've now had NINE blue screens of death on my system, I originally thought it was due to the new keyboard and mouse I bought and installed, but after switching them back to the old ones (and cleaning out the drivers) it is still happening. What is really annoying is that I can't find a whole lot of information on *what* is causing it. It is random, sometimes it happens when I'm gaming, but the temps are stable other times when I'm watching vids.

The stop code is always the same to: Critical Structure Corruption and what failed was "ntfs.sys"

I know NTFS is a file structure, does this means something on my motherboard (like maybe my OS drive) is dying? I know my motherboard ITSELF has problems (onboard sound doesn't work, same with network ports) so is it a drive failure or mb failure? I'm already working on getting a new computer but this still bothers me.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

There's not a lot to go on but maybe your hardware failures are causing drivers or system files to wreak havoc. Start with some basic stuff, run disk cleanup and delete everything you can including windows update files and temp folders. You can leave the recycling bin if you think you need something in there. After completion fun system file checker from an elevated cmd prompt (sfc /scannow) and hopefully it finds some system files to replace/repair.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Blackb4ss's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

A quick google search found this...

https://secure.pcsystemfix.com/fix-w...yAAEgJDffD_BwE

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Yea installed that program, had to pay for it actually which I didn't mind; though I had to disable my anti-virus (grumble) but it did find quite a few corrupt files and even quite a bit of malware to (I have Malware Bytes, why didn't it catch it?) so right now I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice you two, I did clear out a lot of my drivers that were no longer being used, there are drivers in my device manager that I'm unsure if they are safe to remove or not (despite not being in use)

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

You had to pay for it? It let me download it for free but I never tried to install it.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Yup, after it found the problems and I went to fix them, it told me I had to purchase the pro edition.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

You still getting the BSOD or is it to early to tell?

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Looks like it may have stopped, but may be to early to tell. I'll give it a few days to see what happens.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

To bad I can't edit my previous post, because apparently I spoke to soon. Every BSOD is the same in their error message but they occur at completely different moments. The first few happened while watching livestreams, a few while playing games (Astroneer, and PS2).

Glad I'm getting a new system soon, because I'm running out of idea's on what the problem is. I've already uninstalled the programs that I installed *before* this started happening, including removing the hardware that I had installed as well (keyboard/mouse) but nothing is working. I have been running that program everytime it happens and it does find corruption, but it seems whatever it fixes doesn't *stop* the problem.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

If you have multiple different LED controlling softwares it may help to uninstall those for a while. I've read they can cause errors due to calling the same system files. With the type of system error you have I wonder if you've checked for bios updates and chipset driver updates? Also, if you have a program that automatically updates drivers for you they have been known to sometimes download the wrong ones.

Since you know the exact date when the issue occured you can check the Event Viewer to see what happened right before the errors started.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Try checking to be sure your not getting any memory errors. You can dl a program called memtest. I think windows 10 also has a memtest built in. If you get any memory errors then you will have to run the tests again with only one stick of memory. Then swap that out for another stick and run the test again until you find the bad stick.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Did what Weakness suggested, didn't help. Did what Blackb4ss suggested and holy shit with the errors. Ran Memtest86 overnight and had over 4000 errors, ran the test again with one stick at a time, seven out of eight were bad :(

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Wait what? You have 8 sticks of ram? I have never seen a motherboard with more than 4 ram slots. And 7 out of 8 sticks bad? That is unheard of as well. Maybe the ram slot you did your testing with is bad? Try running a couple more tests using a different slot to see if you get the same results.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

So I did some looking and I see they do make some high end motherboards with 8 ram slots. Seems unlikely that 7 out of 8 sticks are bad so as I said in previous post try running your single stick tests in a different slot just in case the slot you used is defective.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

It IS possible that the slot i used to test it is bad, but right now I"m using two backup sticks and the system is running ok (only 16gbs but its enough to hold me over) once Friday rolls around I'm going to retest the eight sticks *again* in a different slot to see if there is any differance. If there is, then I guess that might mean the slot was bad. I am hoping that maybe I can salvage at least a few of those sticks.

But yea, my motherboard is a high end one (or... was?) it is an Asus Prime X299-Deluxe

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

So how much total ram were you running with those 8 sticks?

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

64gbs, each stick was 8gbs. Vengeance LPX

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Sineira's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

That is related to your file system so it's either the drive itself or the controller on the motherboard, or Windows corruption.
    I would (unfortunately) put some money on a bad motherboard...

Regardless, follow this instruction first. Windows has lots of built in ways to check for corruption and fixing it.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-8fd86e0ef4ca

Also run this:
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/check-...ndows-11.8046/

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Download a small program called bluescreenview and post the actual error code. Should be something like 0x000009c... Something along those lines. It's so stupid that windows 10 forward makes you have to do so much work to find the proper code to point you in the direction of your error. Pre win10 this code was posted on the blue screen when the system crashed.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_LTCaveman's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Blackb4ss View Post
    Wait what? You have 8 sticks of ram? I have never seen a motherboard with more than 4 ram slots. And 7 out of 8 sticks bad? That is unheard of as well. Maybe the ram slot you did your testing with is bad? Try running a couple more tests using a different slot to see if you get the same results.
    Hahaha yup, some intel boards (higher end ones) allow for 8DIMMS or if your like me and have a workstation mainboard in one of your "gaming" (work) computers then you can also have 8DIMMs there as well :P

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Suisfonia View Post
    It IS possible that the slot i used to test it is bad, but right now I"m using two backup sticks and the system is running ok (only 16gbs but its enough to hold me over) once Friday rolls around I'm going to retest the eight sticks *again* in a different slot to see if there is any differance. If there is, then I guess that might mean the slot was bad. I am hoping that maybe I can salvage at least a few of those sticks.

But yea, my motherboard is a high end one (or... was?) it is an Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
    One thing to try is; if you have a known working good stick, test it in each dimm
    Dimm 1 - 7 fails but 8 passes, good chance its your board
    Dimm 1 - 8 all pass, good chance its your ram

nice, quick & dirty way to test things :) saved me a bunch of headache's when I was dealing with a OEM (Dell -.-) and getting a board RMA'd so a server could get put back into production (good ridens, we are HP / Lenovo now and much happier)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast