Hybrid View

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default It's "New PC Build" Season :)

So I *almost* pulled the trigger on a $2600 or so cart on Newegg today that consisted of the following, but then decided to wait:

- AMD Ryzen 9 7950x ($699.99)
    - Asus ROG Crosshair X670 Extreme ($999.99)
    - Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5-6200 ($339.99)
    - Asus ROG Thor2 1200w Platinum II PSU ($549.99)

Doesn't even take into account new case (as I'm holding out for Lian Li to launch the Dynamic Evo XL that they announced over the summer), a new GPU (waiting on what AMD announces as an answer to the RTX 4000 series) and then what will be another $1000+ in custom loop components. EK has started to list their new AM5 blocks and such (and RTX 4000 series blocks) but nothing available to purchase just yet from what I can tell.

In short - it seems like this is going to be the most expense new build done to date (as I'm sure others are experiencing as well).

Has anyone else already pulled the trigger on new AM5 components while waiting on what they decide to do GPU-wise?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AOD Member AOD_Abraxas601's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

I'm planning a similar build but will wait until next year. There's a lot of new stuff being released that should probably "bake" for a few months. I've had early adopter blues way too many times.
    “The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd!” - Blackadder

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

There's no reason to go 7000 series if you're only gaming right now. At least wait for 13th gen to launch and AMDs x3d chip. Unless your current pc is really out of date. 7000 series doesn't even beat 12th gen intel for gaming. If you are using your pc for work and other tasks as well as gaming it may be worth it tho. $1550 on psu and board alone just seems crazy to me. Those components won't do anything special that a combo half the price couldn't do. If you got the money tho send it I guess.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I ShadowStorm42's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'll probably have to wait til after first of the year before i can upgrade.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm gonna be looking at Tax time for me to get anything relatively new lol

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_LTCaveman's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    So I *almost* pulled the trigger on a $2600 or so cart on Newegg today that consisted of the following, but then decided to wait:

- AMD Ryzen 9 7950x ($699.99)
    - Asus ROG Crosshair X670 Extreme ($999.99)
    - Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5-6200 ($339.99)
    - Asus ROG Thor2 1200w Platinum II PSU ($549.99)

Doesn't even take into account new case (as I'm holding out for Lian Li to launch the Dynamic Evo XL that they announced over the summer), a new GPU (waiting on what AMD announces as an answer to the RTX 4000 series) and then what will be another $1000+ in custom loop components. EK has started to list their new AM5 blocks and such (and RTX 4000 series blocks) but nothing available to purchase just yet from what I can tell.

In short - it seems like this is going to be the most expense new build done to date (as I'm sure others are experiencing as well).

Has anyone else already pulled the trigger on new AM5 components while waiting on what they decide to do GPU-wise?

Being straight up and honest here, I'd wait so you can future proof yourself on the PSU side of things and wait for companies to release ATX 3.0 sometime next year (unless you need a new PSU)

I'm looking at a similar setup myself but I'm waiting for MSI (yes... I'ma fan boy haha') to release more X670 boards before I bite that bullet.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_Nakisanye's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

I'm someone who always thinks about being future proof when making purchases, but the truth is I've spent a lot of money on things I didn't need and didn't end up needing later. You can spend maybe half what you are looking to spend now and never notice the difference. I'm not even recommending that you save your money and just buy what you need right now. I'm just saying that I recognize the pattern.

Anyways, besides usually looking for a little more bang for my buck, I wouldn't be an early adapter when it comes to a new socket and a $999.99 motherboard.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Sineira's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nakisanye View Post
    I'm someone who always thinks about being future proof when making purchases, but the truth is I've spent a lot of money on things I didn't need and didn't end up needing later. You can spend maybe half what you are looking to spend now and never notice the difference. I'm not even recommending that you save your money and just buy what you need right now. I'm just saying that I recognize the pattern.

Anyways, besides usually looking for a little more bang for my buck, I wouldn't be an early adapter when it comes to a new socket and a $999.99 motherboard.
    I agree with the comment about the motherboard, that's way too much money for a motherboard. And given how many issues they have (based on experience) I would buy a middle of the pack MB now and then maybe upgrade later.
    The PSU seems a bit expensive as well, not justified by it's performance.