Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default retro MIDI devices

Hi!
    I know here isn't the best place to ask particularly, and I will post elsewhere, but I want the advice of gamers: What would you pay for a midi device upgraded to a sound canvas 32?

I ask because I went around to my Dad's joint fathers day, and noticed he had one around gathering dust. It's white, and looks like a network hub, but I am told is a mt32 upgraded to soundcanvas 32 (is that a thing?). I have seen the OG doom 1 and 2 midi recordings on vinyl going for $50, and at my local pawn shop they had an original atari console going for over $700, 220-250 per game (australian money). I'm thinking of making an offer, as I've seen the original "roland" mt32 device I remember from back in the day going for MINIMUM about $435 on ebay. It's family, so I could get a good price, AND bear in mind it would take an extra old 586-486 pc to run it, but should I make an offer?

Does anyone here know sound tech? Would it be worth money to a DJ in 10-20 years because it would offer a more "authentic" sound, or is that too well emulated on other devices nowadays? I really want to buy it, and keep it on the shelf, just to "say" I have it, but will it become desireabale again to sound tech's, or retro gamers atleast? (sound canvas and mt 32 go for 400 on ebay)

Would paying 100 aussie for it be a waste of money?

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Rorschach View Post
    Does anyone here know sound tech? Would it be worth money to a DJ in 10-20 years because it would offer a more "authentic" sound, or is that too well emulated on other devices nowadays? I really want to buy it, and keep it on the shelf, just to "say" I have it, but will it become desireabale again to sound tech's, or retro gamers atleast? (sound canvas and mt 32 go for 400 on ebay)

Would paying 100 aussie for it be a waste of money?
    I'm not an expert, but I don't think a DJ or anyone like that would really be that into something like that. Old retro MIDI devices are really only desired by a very niche group of people (Think LGR or 8-Bit Guy type people on YouTube) who like retro devices. The sounds from them can be emulated with little to no effort these days, so casual gamers aren't going to be anywhere remotely interested. Of course, you never know who'd be interested in something like that. Assuming it's in good condition, it could potentially be worth something, but I doubt you'd make a huge killing on it, unless it's in absolute mint condition and still in its original sealed packaging.

If you want it for a display piece/bragging rights (though, once again, that'd be a very niche thing to brag about) or just want to own it to one day sell it, and you can afford the money, then I'd say go for it.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I Rorschach's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah! I was thinking that: they go for about $400, but actually getting a buyer? EVEN at half that? I want it though, just to "have", on nostalgia alone.