Thread: Backup servers

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Default Backup servers

Hey all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on backup servers? I'm mainly referring to a server that I can connect into my home network and will perform automatic updates on the three computers in my home. I really do not know how much space would be needed for such a system, nor what kind of software would be used. So, what would be ideal for this?

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Do you mean cloud storage?

I use Dropbox and pay for the 1TB service which about $110/year.

I put pretty much all my files on my Dropbox folder and since I use four different computers I never have to worry if my files I need to work are on the computer I'm using. I can also quickly access anything on my phone or easily transfer files from my phone to my computers.

If you have Microsoft 365 you should have 1TB of OneDrive space that works pretty much the same way but is better integrated into Windows. I'm just used to Dropbox and they seem to still be the best performer.

I can also share specific folders with co workers or family without them having access outside that folder.

There are also family accounts for both.

I'd stay away from Google Drive (or whatever they are calling it this week). It's constantly changing the rules and doesn't work the same way. It's also intrusive.

There's really no reason to run a home server anymore or a dedicated shared storage system unless you have very specific needs.

Dropbox also has a history feature so you can restore lost, deleted, inadvertently changed, or corrupted files very easily directly from the website which you can open from the Windows contextual menu.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

double post? ack, admin delete me!
    Last edited by AOD_zeke009; 06-03-2022 at 09:49 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

If you are an Office user, check out M365 Family. 1TB to backup everyones data has been more than enough for my family.

If someone loses a PC, nobody gets bent out of shape anymore. The sharing of licenses is convenient. All of my personal devices are covered and then I shared with my wife, dad, brother, mother-in-law (not by choice), and father-in-law (by choice) and they are all covered. I wish one of them would by me a burger at some point, but not hearing them cry about lost data is just as good.

Now my home server storage is all for my Plex and Security Cam storage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_LTCaveman's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

As AOD_VVoody_87th pointed out there are some great options online (DropBox, o365 with OneDrive, Box.com ect.....) each one has it's pluses and minuses how-ever if your like me and would rather host things locally (For example in my situation I run a seedbox for Torrent's, this seedbox also runs my Plex server among other things...)

To tell you what a "good" option would be, we'd need to know more about your specific setup
    - IE are you wanting a proper "server", if so, 1u, 2u, 3u ect.... do you need SAS drives?, will the server run more then just SMB (assuming windows :)) shares

If you'd like to hit me up in Discord (Rafiki#1337) feel free to for quicker advice (I work as a Systems Network Admin haha')