I was inspired by my high altitude build in the other thread and as the AZ summer kicks in I thought I should do the same thing to try to control temps on my Nvidia RTX 3090FE.

Default advertised boost clocks are much lower but it seemed to be running at 1750 to 1950MHz under load and about 930 to 980mv drawing about 350W which is advertised TDP.

Used MSI Afterbuner and applied a curve maxing out the CPU at 1850MHz and the voltage at 850mv.

The result is that under load the speed is locked in at 1850MHz and 850mv and draws about 310W under load with slightly higher benchmarks. It's also running about 10C cooler across all metrics with CPU temp holding about 60C in my system and no throttling ever.

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to find the limits of how far I could go but I've been playing BBF2042 and it's totally stable.

Undervolting is low risk because instability is not going to damage the card and can be easily corrected if you go too low. It also has the effect of keeping other components in the system just a bit cooler and saves on your air conditioning bill as well as saving you 30-40 Watts of power draw on your system. Increases lifespan of components as well.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner but undervolting is a more recent form of overclocking as a means of managing thermals to improve performance by reducing throttling. I could instead overclock to improve performance but it's a already a 3090! This card needs to last.