Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! DOC_GG_22's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New asus rog pg279qm

Anyone else chomping at the bit for this new monitor? I think the 27" 1440p is the sweet spot for desktop gaming and with the new Flat G7 confirmed as a 27" 4k IPS this will be the gest "gaming monitor at 27" 1440p 240hz.
    https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/27-...pg279qm-model/
    Early inclinations suggest will cost $850 and be available early July.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Looks awesome and I love the specs... but that price tag is out of my range right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I mean I have a fairly high end pc and there's no way I can hit 240HZ at 1440P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 4000 series cards coming in early 2022 should be able to run all the AAA titles at 1440p 240hz with ease. My 2080ti constantly hits my 162 gsync frame limit while playing bfv multi-player.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I'd take Dell aw2721d any day over this. Asus doesn't have great QC and there's no way the factory calibration or pixel overdrive across all refresh rates will be anywhere near the quality of the Dell.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    I'd take Dell aw2721d any day over this. Asus doesn't have great QC and there's no way the factory calibration or pixel overdrive across all refresh rates will be anywhere near the quality of the Dell.
    The AW2721D is an LG nano IPS panel which I remember reading had numerous quality control issues since launch in relation to strobing, dead pixels and screen pinching. IMO the faster ASUS monitor with AUO panel with more accurate color (srgb) is a clear upgrade over the LG paneled Alienware offering. You should watch the Hardware Unboxed review, the Pg279qm beats all other IPS monitors in every major gaming performance test.

Last letter, first love... AOD Member AOD_Cutchall's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DOC_GG_22 View Post
    The AW2721D is an LG nano IPS panel which I remember reading had numerous quality control issues since launch in relation to strobing, dead pixels and screen pinching. IMO the faster ASUS monitor with AUO panel with more accurate color (srgb) is a clear upgrade over the LG paneled Alienware offering. You should watch the Hardware Unboxed review, the Pg279qm beats all other IPS monitors in every major gaming performance test.
    I'm very interested in these 1440p 240Hz monitors so I watched the Hardware Unboxed review you mentioned. I doubt 99.9% of people would notice the difference in speed between the two but in the video I did notice that even though the ASUS monitor has a 0.3ms faster G2G time than the Alienware it is 0.3ms slower in relation to input lag.

I currently have the ASUS VG259QM (1080p 280Hz IPS) and Alienware AW3418DW (3440x1440 120Hz IPS) and I do love the ASUS for shooters but I would really like to have a 1440p 240Hz monitor. Like HOODedDutchman said I probably would go with the Alienware too as the ASUS I have now is the first monitor I've ever had with dead pixels. There's a small vertical line of them just to the right of the middle of the screen. That and the fact that the Alienware looks and feels like a more quality product would have me leaning towards choosing the AW2721D.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cutchall View Post
    I'm very interested in these 1440p 240Hz monitors so I watched the Hardware Unboxed review you mentioned. I doubt 99.9% of people would notice the difference in speed between the two but in the video I did notice that even though the ASUS monitor has a 0.3ms faster G2G time than the Alienware it is 0.3ms slower in relation to input lag.

I currently have the ASUS VG259QM (1080p 280Hz IPS) and Alienware AW3418DW (3440x1440 120Hz IPS) and I do love the ASUS for shooters but I would really like to have a 1440p 240Hz monitor. Like HOODedDutchman said I probably would go with the Alienware too as the ASUS I have now is the first monitor I've ever had with dead pixels. There's a small vertical line of them just to the right of the middle of the screen. That and the fact that the Alienware looks and feels like a more quality product would have me leaning towards choosing the AW2721D.
    The input delay is my only gripe with this panel and I hope it is limited to this test unit as this monitors predecessor has 0 input lag. The speed I was referencing was more than just the difference in GTG at 240hz. The PG279qm has better variable refresh rate performance across the entire 60hz-240hz range, and its dynamic overdrive settings perform with less overshoot. These 2 advantages will combine to give a clearer image in fast paced gaming. I play at 6000-8000 dpi in fps so I have tons of movement on my screen. The more clear an image can be during this movement will allow me to better pick up on opposing players across the map.

Unfortunately there is no perfect monitor technology available that checks all the boxes. TN, IPS, VA, and OLED all have their advantages and disadvantages. Maybe oled will get there or hopefully the emergence of the micro led in consumer grade monitors will change this.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think he's referring to the 2721DGF, which is an awesome monitor.

Hello Sunshine AOD Member AOD_Sunwheel's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NoPants View Post
    I think he's referring to the 2721DGF, which is an awesome monitor.
    I have two Dell S2721DGF monitors and no issues with either. FWIW, my 2070 OC model struggles to maintain 165Hz in most games on low settings. I do stuff like turn anti-aliasing off to help max out frames. Really don't notice it's off at 1440p.
    Intel 13700K @ 5.4GHz; Zotac RTX 4080; 32GB RAM @ 4400MHz 20-28-28-48
    1 TB 990 NVMe, 500 GB 980 NVMe, 500 GB 850 & 860 EVOs; EVGA 750W Gold PS
    Dell S2721DGF @ 165Hz IPS (x2)
    Pulsar X2V2 Mini on Artisan Zero FX Soft XL
    Ducky One 3 SF 65% keyboard with pre-lubed Black switches

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. Styrgis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Cutchall View Post
    ... but I would really like to have a 1440p 240Hz monitor.

Like Doc said, each of the technologies have their pros and cons and sometimes it just boils down to personal taste. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind or at least your heart. Get the one you like more.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I don't remember him saying it had better colors. It has a wider gamut which is better for people who like oversaturated colors but for color accurate work the nano ips panels from LG are usually better once calibrated. Reflecting on this comment the only issue I could see which hardware unboxed didn't test is that most of ROGs monitors that have come out this year have terrible input lag at 60hz and it progressively gets worse as the refresh rate drops. Nobody else's IPS monitors do this. It's showed up on almost all the reviews of their lineup on rtings. May not be an issue with this exact model tho as I believe it uses a gsync module instead of freesync. Just brutal a bunch of their monitors have this issue when even cheap entry level monitors don't. It essentially makes the monitors effected unusable below 100hz.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

The input delay is my only gripe with this panel and I hope it is limited to this test unit as this monitors predecessor has 0 input lag. The speed I was referencing was more than just the difference in GTG at 240hz. The PG279qm has better variable refresh rate performance across the entire 60hz-240hz range, and its dynamic overdrive settings perform with less overshoot. These 2 advantages will combine to give a clearer image in fast paced gaming. I play at 6000-8000 dpi in fps so I have tons of movement on my screen. The more clear an image can be during this movement will allow me to better pick up on opposing players across the map.

Unfortunately there is no perfect monitor technology available that checks all the boxes. TN, IPS, VA, and OLED all have their advantages and disadvantages. Maybe oled will get there or hopefully the emergence of the micro led in consumer grade monitors will change this.
    Samsung VA in the g7 is basically the perfect technology. Unfortunately it's curved 🤦*♂️.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Also the 27gp850 is out now and performs almost identically (usually actually wins) against the pg279qm in gray to gray and dark level smearing. Input lag is only 1ms different despite being 60hz less. It's the easy choice considering its almost half the price. Doesn't quite match the auo panels for Adobe coverage but if you really care about that you could get the MAG274QRF-QD which matches the color gamut of the ROG monitor. Also you mentioned backlight strobing which the pg279qm doesn't even have. The MSI and the LG both have a very usable backlight strobing implementation. I think only the LG allows you to use it with VRR tho. Hardware unboxed bashes it a bit but he doesn't even test it in games. Every other reviewer says it works great in competitive fps. Even guys who are die hard zowie users because they have the best backlight strobing out. I think the PG would make more sense if they ditched gsync module for freesync premium/gsync compatible since gsync modules are all but obsolete, implemented a backlight strobing feature and dropped the price a bit for what they save on gsync module. We need an auo monitor with 240hz and backlight strobing that works with VRR. Nothing gives you everything right now. Which is frustrating because they trickle in tech and it makes you want a new monitor every year.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't remember him saying it had better colors. It has a wider gamut which is better for people who like oversaturated colors but for color accurate work the nano ips panels from LG are usually better once calibrated. Reflecting on this comment the only issue I could see which hardware unboxed didn't test is that most of ROGs monitors that have come out this year have terrible input lag at 60hz and it progressively gets worse as the refresh rate drops. Nobody else's IPS monitors do this. It's showed up on almost all the reviews of their lineup on rtings. May not be an issue with this exact model tho as I believe it uses a gsync module instead of freesync. Just brutal a bunch of their monitors have this issue when even cheap entry level monitors don't. It essentially makes the monitors effected unusable below 100hz.
    That review and others have stated that out of the box it has better color accuracy and it has srgb which most competitors don't offer. Yes if you spend the money on a high end calibration tool you can get another monitor with similar color range to be as accurate. Srgb is the color used by the game developers and would give you the most accurate representation of what they intended. Most people like to play with over saturated colors and the extra range in the wide gamut color would be a benefit for them.
    This is the swift (start with a P in the model#) series of monitors that Asus only tags on the flagship panels, they out perform the lower tier asus monitors all they, so its trivial to say those same shortcomings are across the board.

Samsung VA in the g7 is basically the perfect technology. Unfortunately it's curved ��*♂️.
    I would get the G7 if it had a built in Gsync module and didn't have the flicker, micro stutter and scanline issues.

Also the 27gp850 is out now and performs almost identically (usually actually wins) against the pg279qm in gray to gray and dark level smearing. Input lag is only 1ms different despite being 60hz less. It's the easy choice considering its almost half the price. Doesn't quite match the auo panels for Adobe coverage but if you really care about that you could get the MAG274QRF-QD which matches the color gamut of the ROG monitor. Also you mentioned backlight strobing which the pg279qm doesn't even have. The MSI and the LG both have a very usable backlight strobing implementation. I think only the LG allows you to use it with VRR tho. Hardware unboxed bashes it a bit but he doesn't even test it in games. Every other reviewer says it works great in competitive fps. Even guys who are die hard zowie users because they have the best backlight strobing out. I think the PG would make more sense if they ditched gsync module for freesync premium/gsync compatible since gsync modules are all but obsolete, implemented a backlight strobing feature and dropped the price a bit for what they save on gsync module. We need an auo monitor with 240hz and backlight strobing that works with VRR. Nothing gives you everything right now. Which is frustrating because they trickle in tech and it makes you want a new monitor every year.
    Where did you read that Gysnc modules are becoming obsolete? All the top tier monitors will continue to have them since they give the best performance for variable refresh rate ad it relates to motion blur. The ghosting on a g sync compatible vs g sync module is very noticeable.
    As for the 27gp850, its a nice offering but the lack of a g sync module and the limitations of the nano Ips id still take the Asus Pg279qm with the better AUO panel. The pg279qm is faster than the 27gp850 at max refresh rate and overdrive on, and the 27gp850 has significantly more over shoot. I rather spend the money on the better option and cry once. If money is an issue than there are some lower priced monitors that give you good price/performance.

Only a sith deals in absolutes. AOD Member AOD_Guille92h's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

240hz is mostly for games like CSGO, valorant, COD, overwatch... in most non shooters/competitive modern games u won't get 240hz but because of cpu bottleneck or games not being optimised for 240hz

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

That review and others have stated that out of the box it has better color accuracy and it has srgb which most competitors don't offer. Yes if you spend the money on a high end calibration tool you can get another monitor with similar color range to be as accurate. Srgb is the color used by the game developers and would give you the most accurate representation of what they intended. Most people like to play with over saturated colors and the extra range in the wide gamut color would be a benefit for them.
    This is the swift (start with a P in the model#) series of monitors that Asus only tags on the flagship panels, they out perform the lower tier asus monitors all they, so its trivial to say those same shortcomings are across the board.

I would get the G7 if it had a built in Gsync module and didn't have the flicker, micro stutter and scanline issues.

Where did you read that Gysnc modules are becoming obsolete? All the top tier monitors will continue to have them since they give the best performance for variable refresh rate ad it relates to motion blur. The ghosting on a g sync compatible vs g sync module is very noticeable.
    As for the 27gp850, its a nice offering but the lack of a g sync module and the limitations of the nano Ips id still take the Asus Pg279qm with the better AUO panel. The pg279qm is faster than the 27gp850 at max refresh rate and overdrive on, and the 27gp850 has significantly more over shoot. I rather spend the money on the better option and cry once. If money is an issue than there are some lower priced monitors that give you good price/performance.
    Actually if you look at reviews from rtings (only reviewer I've seen to test input lag at 60hz) its the ROG skus that have the issue with input lag at 60hz. None of the tuf lineup has the issue. Likely due to the manufacturer of the panels they use in the majority of ROG lineup of monitors.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Also variable overdrive is implemented very well on a lot of gsync compatible monitors. Easily as well as monitors with a module. The issue you speak of is really only on VA panels and gsync module equipped monitors aren't exempt from this. Look at reviews from hardware unboxed on odyssey g7, 27gl850, 27gp850. All gsync compatible and all do a great job across the gsync range. Asus is really the only company I can think of that has terrible variable overdrive on their gsync compatible lineup across the refresh range where you need to adjust the settings dependant on what fps your game will be running at even on IPS panels. Most other companies have a set and forget setting that's great across the range. Even gigabyte does it better than Asus and they've only been in the monitor game a very short time. Gsync module has zero benefit over a properly tuned monitor like the ones I mentioned.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Guille92h View Post
    240hz is mostly for games like CSGO, valorant, COD, overwatch... in most non shooters/competitive modern games u won't get 240hz but because of cpu bottleneck or games not being optimised for 240hz
    A 240 HZ monitor is made and marketed for competitive modern FPS. People that want to spend money on the best monitor for this segment are also willing to spend the $$$ on the rig that can run it. Its not for everyone but there are people that have the disposable income to buy the best and have nothing holding back their competitive FPS game play.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Actually if you look at reviews from rtings (only reviewer I've seen to test input lag at 60hz) its the ROG skus that have the issue with input lag at 60hz. None of the tuf lineup has the issue. Likely due to the manufacturer of the panels they use in the majority of ROG lineup of monitors.
    I gloss over the low FPS performance because anyone buying this monitor is a fool if they dont have a rig that can consistently hit 200 fps.

Also variable overdrive is implemented very well on a lot of gsync compatible monitors. Easily as well as monitors with a module. The issue you speak of is really only on VA panels and gsync module equipped monitors aren't exempt from this. Look at reviews from hardware unboxed on odyssey g7, 27gl850, 27gp850. All gsync compatible and all do a great job across the gsync range. Asus is really the only company I can think of that has terrible variable overdrive on their gsync compatible lineup across the refresh range where you need to adjust the settings dependant on what fps your game will be running at even on IPS panels. Most other companies have a set and forget setting that's great across the range. Even gigabyte does it better than Asus and they've only been in the monitor game a very short time. Gsync module has zero benefit over a properly tuned monitor like the ones I mentioned.
    In this Thread we are talking about 240hz 1440p 27" IPS monitors with a built in gysnc module . Physical gsync modules are head and shoulders above the other adaptive syncing technologies. There are countless articles explaining the many reasons for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast