Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Money Battlefront 2 will use loot boxes and microtransactions

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...y-to-win-fears

"Players will be rewarded in the game through regular play in many different, earnable ways including crates," an EA spokesperson told us. "For those that want to accelerate the rewards, they can do so by purchasing crates that contain randomised items and rewards."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/st.../1100-6451278/

"...the main way to progress in Battlefront II is by unlocking crates. You do this by spending credits that you acquire by playing the game, or, if you want to speed up your progress, by spending money."

Shadow of War is also doing a lootbox microtransaction model, the start of a sick new trend in AAA games?

First take the plank out of your own eye.
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Destiny2 also has the same system, as does PUBG, and PS2, etc etc...

I think these crates and micro transactions are the new "normal"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art by Blinix

Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Is what it is. Gives games more of a forward progress feel anyway. They reward players for putting time into the game. If you pay money for these things then thats your prerogative. It doesn't seem like a pay to win strat, just them trying to keep up with other games in terms of a money making strategy. I mean, at least all of their content isn't coming from paid DLC this time around.

One brings shadow, one brings the light... Fang's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They were in there during the closed beta, I had NO issues what-so-ever with them, they were easily obtainable. If anything, skins will be the major factor for purchase via micro-transactions. I'd rather have free dlc maps and heroes than be forced into a season pas to play with more people. That's how the original battlefront got destroyed.

I think the joke with shadow of war is that it is a single player and rather pointless.

End of the day, if you buy the crates, you just lose a reason to continue to play the game as the grind is meant to reward you.

Of course if you're anti Micro-trans, just don't support it ever l0l

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Battlefront 2 will use loot boxes and microtransactions

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Fang View Post
    They were in there during the closed beta, I had NO issues what-so-ever with them, they were easily obtainable. If anything, skins will be the major factor for purchase via micro-transactions. I'd rather have free dlc maps and heroes than be forced into a season pas to play with more people. That's how the original battlefront got destroyed.

I think the joke with shadow of war is that it is a single player and rather pointless.

End of the day, if you buy the crates, you just lose a reason to continue to play the game as the grind is meant to reward you.

Of course if you're anti Micro-trans, just don't support it ever l0l
    My point exactly. And Battlefield and Battlefront games have had microtransactions where u could spend real money and unlock everything, like all the guns and power ups and shit, but like Fang says they remove some of the reason to play, and the rewarding feeling for unlocking things as you play.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think they mentioned that a while ago when they announced that DLC would be free. They gotta make more money somehow, right?

At least it's mostly cosmetic stuff, and as Fang said, it's not too hard to obtain.

Keep reloading, I'm honking. Zeebo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They reward players for putting time into the game.
    That's actually a part of game design in every game, it doesn't need to involve microtransactions. In fact, adding microtransactions like this skews progression in favour of the player buying content to avoid the grind that's been added, and in this case, the unfair advantage of rare abilities. It's actually replacing what would otherwise be a fair and rewarding progression system, cheapening it for everybody.

Can you imagine if there wasn't any system like this, and instead you were given upgrades based on accolades like unlocking better sniper buffs by pulling off headshots? Just an example of how this is fundamentally changing the games design. It's geared towards gambling slot machine mechanics, not a rewarding sense of progression.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well like I said, those who use Micro-transactions are pretty much voiding the rewarding progression these systems can provide. It's their prerogative whether they want to do that or not. It's becoming a norm in games today, and there is really no sense complaining about it because there will always be people who will want to shortcut their way to getting stuff in games with little to no effort. And they don't mind spending more cash to do so. And as long as there are a lot of people who want the easy way, the system will remain a normal thing because it makes companies money. So there's no reason stressing about it too much.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i got to level 40 with all the perks before dlc came out in under a week so loot systems are needed, youtubers make videos of those pack openings as well

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Fang View Post
    i got to level 40 with all the perks before dlc came out in under a week so loot systems are needed, youtubers make videos of those pack openings as well
    Yeah you'd be surprised how many subs those Battlefield 1 crate openers get.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It wasn't something they separately designed and then were like "Oh hey let's add microtransactions to this to make some money, why not". They designed it from the ground up in place of a more rewarding progression system.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

then I guess the real question is, as DLC is free, and servers (to my knowledge are based from EA) - how will they make their money in long term

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Zeebo View Post
    It wasn't something they separately designed and then were like "Oh hey let's add microtransactions to this to make some money, why not". They designed it from the ground up in place of a more rewarding progression system.
    Welcome to gaming in 2017. Trust me, as bad as EA is, this model is probably the least harmful to your wallet than any AAA game released this year.

Look at a game like Shadow of War. $60 price tag, preorder bonus, season pass, loot boxes, a DLC where the publisher is profiting off of the memory of a dead man, and so much more. All wrapped up in a single player game as well!

While I understand your resentment of BF2's model, it's by far the least intrusive. Could it be a little pay to win? Sure, it makes the boring grind a bit easier for people with deep pockets, but everything is obtainable whether you put in $5,000 or 5,000 hours of work. I, like I'm sure many others, wish we could go back to the days where a company sold you a complete game with little to no bugs in it, and that was it. Unfortunately, that's just not the world we live in anymore. One company got away with doing DLC or season pass thing, and made a killing off of those gullible customers, and the other companies followed suit.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Master Butters View Post
    Welcome to gaming in 2017. Trust me, as bad as EA is, this model is probably the least harmful to your wallet than any AAA game released this year.

Look at a game like Shadow of War. $60 price tag, preorder bonus, season pass, loot boxes, a DLC where the publisher is profiting off of the memory of a dead man, and so much more. All wrapped up in a single player game as well!

While I understand your resentment of BF2's model, it's by far the least intrusive. Could it be a little pay to win? Sure, it makes the boring grind a bit easier for people with deep pockets, but everything is obtainable whether you put in $5,000 or 5,000 hours of work. I, like I'm sure many others, wish we could go back to the days where a company sold you a complete game with little to no bugs in it, and that was it. Unfortunately, that's just not the world we live in anymore. One company got away with doing DLC or season pass thing, and made a killing off of those gullible customers, and the other companies followed suit.
    ^^^

Every waking moment is agony Really Old Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Played the alpha. A lot of the loot box items were very simple buffs to player skills and abilities. There really wasn't anything that was overpowered about the abilities. As others have said, it is an example of less harmful methods of loot boxes and micro transactions. Could be worse.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

In comparison to previous micro transaction games EA has made, this is the least shitty one, I'm surprised tbh

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Stoopkid's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This makes me sad, but at least its more so cosmetic

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I honestly don't have a problem with this. And I don't really have an issue with micro-transactions. It's not necessarily Pay-to-Win and it allows us to receive our free DLC content. This feature caters to the impatient gamers who chance a win at something particular they've been looking for.

I agree with Zeebo where I'd probably prefer a mechanic where skill can get you unlocks but it is unlikely for big gaming companies like EA.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Loonar's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Battlefield does the same thing. Sure you can pay to unlock crap if you want but its very easy to get chests (or whatever theyre called) just by playing the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast